Friday, April 29, 2011

Rob Lowe: My sex tape is 'the greatest thing that ever happened to me'

Rob Lowe told Oprah Winfrey he's grateful his sex tape eventually led him to a rehab program.

John Parra/WireImage

Rob Lowe told Oprah Winfrey he's grateful his sex tape eventually led him to a rehab program.

Rob Lowe loves his sex tape.

Though it caused a massive scandal for the former teen heartthrob when it was leaked in 1989 ? primarily because one of the women featured was revealed to be just 16 years old ? Lowe said he now recognizes it as a much-needed turning point in his life.

"It ends up being the greatest thing that ever happened to me," he said on Thursday's "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

"Because what it ends up doing is accelerating sort of my alcohol stuff to where I finally get sober," Lowe explained, "and have been able to have the rest of my life that I'm so blessed with, which is now 20 years of sobriety."

"I don't think any of it happens without [the video]," he added.

THE CAST OF 'ST. ELMO'S FIRE': WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Lowe, 47, pointed out, however, that sex tapes have recently become a hot commodity in Hollywood, purposefully made by stars to make money.

"Now people do sex tapes to help their careers," he said, telling Winfrey that there is a particular celebrity lawyer that is known for being the go-to guy for negotiating the sale of such videos.

"You make the tape, you give it to him and then you are shocked, shocked I tell you, that it is out. You are outraged and you are going to call a lawyer," he explained. "And then the lawyer sells it and you get paid."

The "Parks and Recreation" star, who was on the talk show to promote his new memoir "Stories I Only Tell My Friends," admitted that he loved his time in rehab.

"I highly recommend it. It was like going to college to get sober," he said, adding that he was always an overeager student.

"To me, rehab is serious business for serious people," the actor explained. "It's not a place you go for publicity or to escape a law or to rehabilitate your career, which unfortunately is what it's become."

Lowe also talked about his old friend Charlie Sheen, whom he first became close to at 13 but hasn't spoken to "in a while."

"Everybody in their childhood has that family where you know you're going to be there on Christmas Eve," he said. "And on any given weekend, you're going to be maybe spending the night in the guest bedroom. That was the Sheens' house for me growing up."

PHOTOS: THE WILD TIMES OF CHARLIE SHEEN

But Lowe recognizes that his "homeboy" doesn't share his positive view of rehab programs.

"I love him and he and I agree to disagree on sobriety," Lowe said, adding that he has offered to stand by Sheen as he gets the same help that "saved" his own life but the 45-year-old former sitcom star isn't interested.

"He has always been an iconoclast and a true character full of charisma and wild, and he's letting it all loose," Lowe explained. "He's like, 'You know what? I'm really going to go full throttle with what I've been keeping inside my whole life.' That's really where it's at."

Sheen's recent behavior "really is Charlie being Charlie," Lowe concluded, "in an obviously much more advanced, hopped-up version."

Kate Beckinsale Summer Altice Anna Friel Laura Harring Mandy Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment